Spring is right around the corner and it’s time to make sure your home is prepared for the upcoming weather. Here are a few around the house maintenance tips you can check out to make sure your home is protected and up to date for the spring and summer seasons.
1) Gutters- Always make sure to check for loss, leaking, or clogged gutters to assure that no improper drainage is occurring to damage the foundation of your home and to prevent possible leaks into your basement and/or crawl space.
2) Chimney- Have your chimney cleaned and looked at by a professional chimney sweep to assure there is no damage to the chimney from the passing winter weathers.
3) Cracks- Make sure to check the foundation around the outside of the house and in the basement of your home to make sure there are no cracks within the foundation that can cause further damage to your home. If you do find damage to your homes foundation make sure to contact a contractor immediately to hear what they have to say.
4) Fire Wood- If your home heating is fueled from a wood furnace or you and your family just enjoy gathering around the fire than you most likely have a big wood pile somewhere near your home structure. If the answer is yes, be sure to keep your log piles at least 18 inches off the ground and 2 feet away from your home structure to prevent any mold or insects from entering your home from possible rotting wood.
5) Faucets- Check your outside water faucets for pipe damage. If you can cover the opening of the faucet with your thumb and water doesn’t rush out there’s most likely pipe damage within your home. Be sure to check your garden hoses for cracks or dry rot as well.
6) A/C Maintenance- Have a professional heating and cooling contractor come and service the outside A/C unit of your home. Have him clean the coils and replace the air filters so that the unit runs at peak performance.
7) Power Equipment- Be sure to run some checkup and maintenance on your power equipment around your house such as your yard equipment making sure they have new blades, replaced oil, and full gas tanks.
8) Roofing- Make sure you check your roofing after the winter season to make sure ice and snow didn’t damage the outside creating new openings and cracks in your ceiling which can result in lots of leaks and flooding inside your home during the spring rainy seasons.
9) Air Leaks- Check your windows and doors of your home for cracks to help insulate your home to keep the hot air outside and your cool A/C air inside.
10) Puddles- Check the low and high areas around your house and your yard to prevent puddling which can destroy your lawn and occur flooding into your home basement if puddling is formed too close to your homes foundation. Fill in all low spots with compact soil and plant grass over it to help make your yard level.
Follow these quick and easy around the house maintenance tips to make sure that you and your home are ready for the spring season to come. As always be sure to come see us here at Red Door Real Estate for any questions you may have or if your trying to find that new dream home of yours in this gorgeous spring market!
By: Matt Kopf